Interactive & graphic design
On the first day of the week, we were given a task in a team to make a presentation on how our interactive electronic book (ebook) based on the story little red riding hood, would visually look like and how the book would use interaction to engage with the view and how they would navigate through the book.
My team first split into two pairs, one would work on the visual design, the other would work on interaction; me and Steven both chose to work on the interaction and Ben and Jozef worked on the visual. Me and Steven discussed what icons would be easily understandable to a child; once we came up with ideas, I quickly drew some thumbnails, so we could see it visually, I see if our ideas would work. We communicated with the other team members and shown them our ideas, this way we can keep a theme when they are designing the visual look of the pages.
After deciding what we wanted, I drew a quick layout of where they would be placed on the page, that way when we presented our ideas they would be understood more easily with there design and placement.
The skills I have learned from this are quick thumbnail sketches, which I applied to create the thumbnails for the presentation and to be able to decide whether the ideas were good or not. I can apply these skills to the project by using them to help me design 3D models and other things I might create for the project. One of the technical problem we had was when creating the power point to use for our presentation, we did not have enough to implement the thumbnails and the layout I drew. We were able to solve this issue by passing the thumbnails and the layout through the the class that everyone got a good look at what we were aiming at. What I would have done differently is to next time try give Ben photos more easily by having a cable which would be able to allow me to access my photos on my phone more easily.
This week we were given a chance to use our skills to make a 3D model that would tie in with the Napoleon timeline but we could only use simple objects, such as cubes, rectangular prism, spheres, etc.
Before I began creating I first noted down some ideas for what I would create, here are my ideas:
-Tesseract power container
I decided to go for the Tesseract power container as it sounded more visually appealing than the others; once decided I drew some thumbnail ideas down, creating different designs so I had variety.
After doing a couple, I chose one and went straight to work on designing it; I first created a normal sphere on 3Ds Max and then began to make a texture. I opened up Photoshop and made a normal canvas; I then made marks on it and placed on the 3D model, this would allow to tell where the front, bottom, back and sides were, this would allow me to texture properly. Once finished I applied the texture straight on the model.
I have learnt one of the techniques to texture a sphere and applied to the 3D model of Tesseract power container, along with how to work to a deadline using planning skills. I can apply the skill to the project by using it to texture any spheres I may use in the future and using the planning skills I have learnt to finish work before deadlines. A problem I faced with texturing the sphere was knowing the placement of the texture, which I solved by marking the key areas of the texture and placing it on the model which I was working on and recalibrate the texture to fit the model. Next time I think I will go for a more simpler object to texture as spheres are very difficult to texture and I could have improved the model by making a extrusion into the sphere where the glass would be so the 3D model wasn’t as dull as it was.
We also learned in the same week about layouts, we were given a task to create a three double pages for a magazine as a group, our subject was mobile & social games. I worked on the layouts of each page whilst the others worked on visual layouts and design; me and Jozef discussed what would be best for the layouts and drew thumbnails and wire frames of those layouts to get a better understanding of what we wanted.
After deciding on what we wanted and showing the other team members our ideas and agreeing on them, we started to digitalise the layouts on InDesign. It was a little difficult first as it was my first time using InDesign but using the previous knowledge I had acquired from programs similar to it I was able to pick it up quiet quickly. Once I finished digitising the layouts, I gave them to my other teammates so they could start applying visual design.
The skills I have learnt from this are layout skills and InDesign skills, which I applied in making and designing layouts for the task we were given. I can apply these skills to the project by designing the layout of the dossier in InDesign and making wire frames to show our ideas visually. A technical problem I had was trying to figure out how to use InDesign and the way I solved was using my previous experience with other programs to make the layouts. There is nothing I want to differently as I think I handled the task pretty well, I created simple but creative layouts, that match the purpose, like the last page it is designed to be like a winner’s podium as they have been classed as the best mobile & social games.